- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first photo of Matthew McConaughey portraying defiant farmer Newton Knight in writer-director Gary Ross‘ upcoming Civil War drama The Free State of Jones was released Monday.
The image captures Knight in battle; McConaughey plays a soldier for the Confederacy during the Civil War who becomes disillusioned with the South’s cause, flees the battlefield and defiantly declares a safe haven in Jones County, Mississippi.
Keri Russell, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Mahershala Ali (House of Cards) also star in the film from Robert Simonds‘ STX Entertainment that has started principal photography in and around New Orleans.
The Free State of Jones is produced by Scott Stuber, Jon Kilik (The Hunger Games) and Ross. STX, which co-financed with IM Global, will release the film in the U.S. market March 11, 2016.
IM Global will release internationally, with Route One Entertainment and Union Investment Partners also on board as co-financiers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day