- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After other bidders, including indie stalwart A24, were circling the worldwide rights for Miranda July’s Kajillionaire, Focus Features is now close to acquiring the Sundance title.
Kajillionaire follows a family of con artists, headed by Theresa (Debra Winger) and Robert (Richard Jenkins), who have spent 26 years training their only daughter, Old Dolio (Evan Rachel Wood), to steal at every opportunity. But the entrance of a kind stranger, Melanie (Gina Rodriguez), into their schemes begins to challenge Old Dolio’s reality.
The movie was produced by embattled production banner Annapurna, which kept the project after offloading other titles, including Bombshell, which later went to Lionsgate, and Hustlers, which landed at STX.
Plan B is also behind Kajillionaire, with Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Youree Henley having produced the film. Brad Pitt, Megan Ellison and Jillian Longnecker executive produced.
The pic, repped by UTA Independent Film Group, screened in the Sundance Film Festival’s Premieres section.
Feb. 6, 2:30 p.m. Updated with news of Focus deal.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day