- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Maika Monroe, the star of horror breakout It Follows, has nabbed the female lead of Fox’s high-profile Independence Day sequel.
Roland Emmerich is directing the project, which has a mix of old and new faces: Liam Hemsworth, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Jessie Usher are joining the cast, while Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Judd Hirsch are reprising their roles from the 1994 original.
If a deal goes through, Monroe will play the daughter of the president of the United States, played by Pullman. She also would be the love interest of Hemsworth’s character.
The role was highly sought-after and required several rounds of testing. Monroe beat out several other actresses for the part, including Lucy Boynton, Merritt Patterson, Gabriella Wilde and Britt Robertson.
Dean Devlin, Emmerich and Harald Kloser are producing. James A. Woods and Nicolas Wright wrote the most recent draft.
Monroe — repped by WME and Luber Roklin Entertainment — co-starred opposite Dan Stevens in Adam Wingard’s The Guest and also appeared in Jason Reitman’s Labor Day and Sofia Coppola’s Bling Ring.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day