- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Humorist and illustrator Jonny Sun is teaming with Chernin Entertainment for Paper Lanterns, a live-action/animation hybrid feature that just got picked up by Fox Family.
Sun will write the script, with Chernin on board to produce.
Plot details are being kept under wraps, but the studio describes Paper Lanterns as an all-audience story “that pays homage to Chinese folklore in a way that feels contemporary and fresh.”
Fox Family president Vanessa Morrison, Nate Hopper and Rachel Yeung are overseeing for the studio.
Sun was a Twitter humorist who made a splash with his book Everyone’s a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too, which landed on Amazon’s best comics and graphic novels list of 2017, and he also recently teamed with Lin-Manuel Miranda for Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You. Sun is also a writer on season six of Netflix’s BoJack Horseman and has a three-book deal with Harper Perennial.
Sun is an affiliate art professor at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard, as well as a creative researcher at the Harvard metaLAB. He is repped by CAA, 3 Arts and Levine Greenberg.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Zurich Film Festival
Santa Barbara International Film Festival