- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lionsgate has tapped the director for the final two films of the series, Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2. Lawrence is currently shooting Catching Fire, the second installment of the smash YA adaptation series, in Atlanta.
The final two films in the Hunger Games series, which center on the life-or-death struggles of Katniss Everdeen in and out of the arena, will hit theaters Nov. 21, 2014, and Nov. 20, 2015, respectively.
Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2 will be written by Danny Strong and star Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. The two films, which are being adapted from a single novel, follow the heroine’s journey as she leads the districts of Panem in a rebellion against the tyrannical and corrupt Capitol. As the war that will determine the fate of Panem escalates, Katniss must decipher for herself who she can trust and what needs to be done, with everything she cares for in the balance.
The first installment of the Hunger Games franchise has grossed nearly $700 million worldwide. The highly anticipated Catching Fire opens in theaters Nov. 22, 2013.
Francis Lawrence’s directing credits also include Water for Elephants, I Am Legend and Constantine. He is repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day