- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Frankie Go Boom, it can be certain, will not be sold on sex appeal. At least when it comes to the advertising featuring Ron Perlman.
Eschewing his usual tough guy roles, such as those in Sons of Anarchy and Drive, Perlman finds himself in full drag for writer/director Jordan Roberts‘ upcoming indie comedy, playing a transgendered Phil-turned-Phyllis. The film features Perlman’s SOA co-star Charlie Hunnam as Frank, the tortured brother of Chris O’Dowd‘s YouTube prankster Bruce.
Party Down‘s Lizzy Caplan co-stars as the woman with whom Frank has a disastrous one night stand, leading to even more embarrassment and torture from his brother.
For all the main plot’s intrigue, however, the film is most definitely banking on Perlman’s less-than-beautiful visage to sell itself; Perlman himself is talking up the insanity of the costume, telling Moviehole back in September, “You’ll see me be the ugliest broad you’ve ever seen, in the history of womanhood. I can’t wait to see it. I have not seen it yet, but it’s quite funny.”
The film is set to debut at South by Southwest later in March; this poster premiered at Movieline.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day