- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
While Tron:Legacy didn’t make him a star, Garrett Hedlund will probably get another shot at the brass ring with Akira.
The actor is in negotiations to star as Kaneda in Warner Bros’ adaptation of the Japanese manga classic being directed by Jaume Collet-Sera. To sum up the sprawling plot succinctly: In post-apocalyptic New Manhattan, a motorcycle gang leader (Hedlund) must stop fellow gang member and his brother from abusing his newly acquired telekinetic powers.
The movie has been long in the works, with its budget finally being approved two weeks ago, paving the way for offers to go out. Helena Bonham Carter and Gary Oldman have been approached for roles, as has Keira Knightley. Thus far, only Hedlund has engaged.
Hedlund is best known for his work on the film version of Friday Night Lights, but he has appeared in movies such as Country Strong. His first screen appearance was in Troy, where he played Brad Pitt’s cousin.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day