- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jason Clarke and Kodi Smit-McPhee are already cast in the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes being directed by Matt Reeves.
While much of the plot is being kept under lock and key, it is set 15 years after the events of the hit 2011 film. One focus is on the human scientists who are struggling to survive alone in San Francisco. Another aspect of the story is the struggle of intelligent ape Caesar, played by a returning Andy Serkis, to maintain dominance over his kingdom.
Oldman is coming on board to play a leader of the human resistance, a diplomatic type who has a military background and was, interestingly enough, a former police commissioner (at least in the current script).
Fox had no comment on the roles.
Apes is the latest franchise that Oldman has joined. The veteran actor is becoming a favorite of the fanboy nation with turns in the Harry Potter and Batman movie series and the recently wrapped shooting Robocop, MGM’s reboot that could turn into yet another franchise.
He is repped by APA, manager Douglas Urbanski and Loeb and Loeb.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day