- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
George C. Wolfe, Dustin Lance Black, and former President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama’s Higher Ground banner are coming together for a biopic of civil rights activist Bayard Rustin.
Wolfe will direct Rustin from a script by Dustin Lance Black for Higher Ground and Netflix.
According to the logline, Rustin will “tell the story of the charismatic gay civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who overcame an onslaught of obstacles, and altered the course of American history by organizing the 1963 march on Washington.”
Along with Bruce Cohen (American Beauty) and Black, Priya Swaminathan and Tonia Davis will produce for Higher Ground Productions, which has a slate that includes Riz Ahmed’s Exit West and The Young Wife from writer-director Tayarisha Poe.
A five-time Tony Award winner, Wolfe most recently directed Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom for Netflix. He is repped by CAA and Loeb & Loeb.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day