- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A masked man carrying a rifle who stormed a movie theater in Germany late Thursday afternoon and took hostages was shot and killed by police.
No one else was injured in the attack, authorities said.
Peter Beuth, the interior minister of the state of Hessen, where the incident took place, confirmed that police raided the cinema and shot the man dead.
Police later confirmed that he had been armed with a fake rifle and pistol as well as a fake grenade. He has since been identified as a 19-year-old man born in the area.
Early media reports had suggested up to 50 people were injured, either by the shooter or by tear gas reportedly used by police. A police spokesman confirmed that there were no other injuries.
Beuth said the man appeared confused and that authorities were working on the initial assumption this was not an act of terrorism. The dead man has not yet been identified. A police spokesman, however, told local newspaper Mannheimer Morgen that he did not have “an Islamic background.”
The police responded to what had been described as a “threat situation” at the Kinopolis movie theater in Viernheim, Germany, near Mannheim, when a masked man carrying a rifle and wearing an ammunition belt, stormed the cinema.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day