- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Ghostbusters: Afterlife conjured up $4.5 million in Thursday night previews as it opens on the eve of the lucrative Thanksgiving holiday corridor.
Sony rolled out the film in 3,450 locations beginning at 4 p.m. local time, including Imax and premium large format screens.
The studio and filmmakers are hoping for a three-day debut in the $27 million-$28 million range; other analysts are targeting $30 million-plus.
Based on Ivan Reitman’s iconic film Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters: Afterlife is directed by his son, Jason Reitman.
Billed as the next chapter in the original Ghostbusters universe, the story follows a single mom and her two kids who arrive in a small town and discover their connection to the original ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind.
The film stars Carrie Coon, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Annie Potts and Paul Rudd.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
‘Transformers: Rise of the Beasts’ Review: Seventh Installment Is Comfort Food for Fans
Adam Devine and Pierce Brosnan Team Up After a Bank Robbery in Netflix’s ‘The Out-Laws’ Trailer
The Little Mermaid
Box Office: ‘The Little Mermaid’ Gets Doused in China, South Korea After Racist Backlash
Michael Keaton Teases ‘Beetlejuice 2’: “We’re Doing It Exactly Like We Did the First Movie”