- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Indie distributor GKIDS has acquired the North American distribution rights to Bunuel and the Labyrinth of the Turtles, whose subject is surrealist filmmaker Luis Bunuel. GKIDS plans a 2019 theatrical release.
The film made its world premiere in October, at the Animation Is Film Festival, garnering a Special Jury Prize for its innovative handling of unexpected subject matter. It follows a time early in the career of Bunuel, as he and his friend and new benefactor Ramon Acin set out to make an ambitious documentary on the Las Hurdes region in Spain. The film from The Glow Animation/Sygnatia and Submarine animation studios, was co-written and directed by Salvador Simo, and produced by Manuel Cristobal.
“Luis Bunuel constantly pushed the visual and storytelling boundaries of cinema,” said GKIDS president David Jesteadt. “It’s only fitting that the story of such a unique and legendary artist would be told through animation.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day