- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first trailer for Legendary’s Godzilla reboot is out, and if you were wondering what to expect, the answer appears to be: “a story of claustrophobic, epic destruction told on a human scale.”
With little dialogue — outside of an opening speech given to soldiers about to drop into a city partially destroyed by the giant monster — and almost no clear view of the titular monster himself, the trailer creates the impression that next year’s movie, helmed by Gareth Edwards, will offer a more serious, realistic Man of Steel-esque take on the giant monster genre than this summer’s Pacific Rim, with a surprising focus on the people affected by the rampaging beast.
STORY: M.U.T.O. Research Site Teases ‘Godzilla’ Remake
For those hoping for rubber-suited fun more akin to the original Toho movies, this trailer might disappoint — but for those ready for a grand scale science fiction summer blockbuster, get ready: Next year might see the competition crushed by a giant mutated lizard personifying man’s scientific hubris gone mad.
Godzilla will be released May 16, 2014.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day