- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Ellen Burstyn and James Caan starring Queen Bees has been acquired by Gravitas Ventures in North America, with a day-and-date theatrical and digital release set for June 11.
The Oscar-winning Burstyn plays fiercely independent senior Helen (Academy Award-winner Ellen Burstyn) who moves into a nearby retirement community temporarily while her home undergoes repairs.
But, as the logline reads, “once behind the doors of Pine Grove Senior Community, she encounters lusty widows, cutthroat bridge tournaments and a hotbed of bullying ‘mean girls’ the likes of which she hasn’t encountered since high school, all of which leaves her yearning for the solitude of home. But somewhere between flower arranging and water aerobics Helen discovers that it’s never too late to make new friends and perhaps even find a new love.”
Michael Lembeck directed from a screenplay by Donald Martin, based on story by Harrison Powell. Ann-Margret, Jane Curtin, Christopher Lloyd, Loretta Devine, Elizabeth Mitchell, and French Stewart also star.
Astute Films is behind the feature with Harrison Powell, Dominique Telson, and Fred Bernstein acting as producers. Executive producers are Richard L. Jackson and Claudine Marrotte.
Arclight Films negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day