- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Wednesday’s premiere of The Great Gatsby in New York drew so many celebrities that even Jennifer Lawrence found herself feeling starstruck. After walking the red carpet, the actress nearly fell over herself trying to catch a glimpse of the film’s executive producer, Jay-Z. “Oh my God, there’s Jay-Z,” the Oscar winner enthused, while a group of VIPs including Gatsby star Leonardo DiCaprio and Sacha Baron Cohen converged in a VIP area outside Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center.
As for director Baz Luhrmann, he is more impressed by Jay-Z’s work ethic than his fame. “He was an amazing collaborator,” Luhrmann gushed of the hip-hop mogul who is making inroads in Hollywood with Gatsby and an upcoming Annie remake. “He also happens to be one of the most professional people I’ve ever worked with.”
At the after party at The Plaza Hotel, some 500 guests including the film’s Joel Edgerton, Tobey Maguire and Isla Fisher danced alongside flapper-dressed performers, while a conga line procession of trumpeters and saxophonists made their way through the room dripping with Tiffany-inspired decor to the delight of revelers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show