- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Green Book director Peter Farrelly said Wednesday that he’s deeply sorry and embarrassed after film website The Cut found a 20-year-old story in which colleagues said Farrelly liked to flash his genitals as a joke.
Farrelly, through his publicists, said the stories’ descriptions are true.
“I was an idiot,” Farrelly said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “I did this decades ago, and I thought I was being funny, and the truth is I’m embarrassed, and it makes me cringe now. I’m deeply sorry.”
Those who told Newsweek they’d been tricked included film executive Tom Rothman and actress Cameron Diaz, who was starring in the Farrelly brothers’ comedy There’s Something About Mary at the time.
Green Book, which stars Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen as a black concert pianist and his Italian-American driver, respectively, who become unlikely friends, won a Golden Globe Award on Sunday for best musical or comedy motion picture.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Top Gun: Maverick