- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Daddy issues, guitars, long hair, pretty girls and flashbacks to the lonesome late 60’s: Greetings From Tim Buckley has all the ingredients for a hip indie drama hit. But can its star shoulder the burden of playing a lost icon, who has only grown in mythic stature since his tragic death?
In this first biopic of the late singer (there is another, officially licensed one in the works), the Gossip Girl actor plays the tragic singer-songwriter before his rise to fame, when he was just a kid with a guitar and questions about a father he never knew. Luckily (or not), his dad was Tim Buckley, a famous musician in his own right, and the subject of a tribute concert that summons him from Los Angeles to the New York.
“It was daunting,” Badgley told THR about taking on the role, during an interview in Toronto. “I was nervous as hell and I knew nobody thought I could do it. There are parts of Jeff I can’t emulate at all and wouldn’t want to try.”
Above is the first trailer for the film, which co-stars Imogen Poots as Buckley’s love interest, Allie, and Ben Rosenfield as Tim.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day