- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In a Guardians Blu-ray featurette clip, Gunn explained that the film had already been entirely shot before he and the rest of the crew knew exactly what the little dancing twig would look like. Luckily, there wasn’t too much debate over how to design the character.
“By that time, our design team knew exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, and I described it pretty well, and it didn’t go through too many iterations before it got to the Baby Groot that’s on screen,” Gunn said.
The director pointed out that there are two Baby Groots in the movie — one that he referred to as just a “stick with a face,” while one he said was “cuter” — and you can watch the clip to see which of those he prefers.
Vin Diesel, the voice of Groot, also appears in the featurette and is proud that his character is so beloved. “It feels like the audience is going to be with Groot for a long time,” the actor said. “What is cooler than that?”
Watch the video below, which also shows the character’s changes throughout the development process.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Ticket to Paradise