- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
San Francisco is under attack in a video giving an early look at Guillermo del Toro‘s upcoming monsters vs robots film, Pacific Rim.
In the video, released Wednesday as part of a viral campaign to promote the movie, news footage captures the chaos as a 300-ft monster emerges from beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and destroys a good chunk of the Bay area before it’s finally brought down by fighter pilots.
Pacific Rim features a human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using equally massive robots (Jaegers).
“I went against the grain. What normally the big blockbusters tend to adopt is a very impersonal, a very cool — almost the style of a recruitment video for the Army [with] long lenses, steel blues, polished metal,” del Toro said. “I think when you create images that are beautiful about things that are normally not beautiful, they have a haunting sense of poetry.”
The film from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures stars Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day. It hits theaters in 2D and 3D July 12, 2013.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day