- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Director Todd Phillips has come under fire by animal rights groups for getting the monkey that stars in Hangover 2 addicted to cigarettes.
“I wanted the monkey to smoke so we had to train her to,” Phillips tells Total Film magazine (via HuffingtonPost). “Now I have PETA after me because the monkey’s become addicted to cigarettes. She was just shooting Cameron Crowe‘s movie We Bought a Zoo. And the monkey won’t stop smoking…”
The monkey plays a significant role in the movie. A trailer featuring the primate simulating a sex act was pulled from theaters by the Motion Pictures Association of America earlier this month. (It was re-edited before making a second debut ahead of Scream 4 Friday.)
“In our haste to meet the placement schedule for this trailer, we failed to properly vet the final version with the MPAA. We acted immediately to correct the mistake and removed the trailer from screens,” Warner Bros. said in a statement then.
Watch the trailer, above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day