- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Paramount and MGM have thrown into development a sequel to Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
The move is eye-raising since the movie was a bomb in North America, where it grossed only $54 million, but it shows the impact that the international box office has on Hollywood studios; the two companies are citing the more than $150 million grossed abroad as the inciting factor for the sequel.
PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes of THR’s Jeremy Renner Cover Shoot
The announcement comes on the heels of the movie crossing the $200 million worldwide. Among the countries where the action fantasy has done well are Brazil ($24.1 milion), Russia $19 million), Mexico ($14 million) and Germany at ($12.8 million).
Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick of Gary Sanchez Productions and Beau Flynn expected to return as producers.
The hit movie starred Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the grown-up fairy tale characters now dedicated to eradicating witches.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day