- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
There was never just one… witch.
It took quite a while to get here, but behold, the first live-action look at Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, which does for the Brothers Grimm what Abraham Lincoln: Witch Hunter did for our most famous bearded president.
Featuring Jeremy Renner, who has this year donned tights to fire arrows (in The Avengers) and a leather jacket to seek out chems (in The Bourne Legacy), now going 1700s-German chic — and just as tough as ever — as Hansel, and Gemma Arterton as his sister Gretel, the film acts as a continuation to the classic fairy tale. Instead of bread crumbs, the now-grown pair are leaving trails of blood in the woods, as they hunt down witches (spoiler alert) following their youthful run-in with the candy architect with a mean streak.
Originally scheduled for March release, the film will now come out in January, during a relatively barren season for Hollywood. Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a box office bust; will Renner’s star power help save this film from the same fate?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day