- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
International sales veteran Thorsten Schumacher, the former managing director of HanWay Films who left in July after 13 years with the company, has launched his own London-based venture.
Rocket Science is a “multifaceted venture engineered for production, finance, sales and distribution,” it was announced Wednesday, and comes with financial backing from across Europe, the Middle East and Asia. It is set to expand into Los Angeles in early 2017.
The startup’s first project is the high-profile On Chesil Beach, the adaptation of Ian McEwan’s best-selling novel being produced by Number 9 Films, the British hitmakers behind last year’s Carol starring Saoirse Ronan. Lionsgate already has U.K. rights for the film, with Rocket Science coming on board to handle unsold international territories.
“On Chesil Beach is a perfect first project for Rocket Science, as we aim to bring top filmmaking talent together to tell unforgettable stories with universal appeal,” said Schumacher in a statement. “It marks the start of what we’re certain will be a great adventure for everyone involved with the company, with the promise of further ambitious projects to come.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day