- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Herbie Hancock has joined the cast of Luc Besson’s sci-fi epic Valerian.
The French director announced the news on Instagram Saturday morning, informing followers that, “Herbie Hancock is a legend. His music was my only friend at 14… I learn so much listening this genius… I’m proud to have him for a role in #Valerian.”
Though the Grammy and Oscar-winning musician’s role is unknown for the graphic novel adaption, if it’s anything like Rihanna’s role, according to the director, it will be “big.”
Hancock joins the “Diamond” singer, Ethan Hawke, Cara Delevingne and Dane DeHaan, who is set to play the titular character, a space and time-traveling agent from a futuristic Earth, with Delevingne starring as his red-haired companion, Laureline.
Production is slated to begin at the end of 2015. Besson is writing and directing the film with Virginie Besson-Silla as producer for EuropaCorp, which is financing, producing and distributing the film.
Valerian is due for release in theaters July 21, 2017.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day