- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the second installment of Peter Jackson‘s trilogy, has officially debuted.
The two-minute trailer features plenty of elves — including the return of Orlando Bloom as Legolas, and the debut of Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel — but the real highlight is the first look at Smaug, the deadly dragon.
The dragon, played in motion capture by Benedict Cumberbatch, appears right at the end of the trailer, turning its head toward a cowering Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman). Unfortunately, we don’t get to hear Cumberbatch’s voice, but at least we finally get a look at what Baggins and his dwarf companions are dealing with.
Jackson’s second installment in the prequel trilogy is set to hit theaters on Dec. 13. It follows Bilbo, the dwarves and Gandalf as they continue on their journey to get the gold back from the dragon, Smaug. The third installment, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release one year later on Dec. 17, 2014.
Watch the new trailer above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day