- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
West flew in to Los Angeles from San Francisco, where he’s in the midst of his Yeezus Tour, to present breakthrough director to 12 Years a Slave helmer Steve McQueen. In his remarks, West noted that he flew in L.A. just to present the honor to his “friend” and was flying back out that night.
Of course, as we all know now, West proposed to girlfriend Kim Kardashian at AT&T Park in San Francisco in front of their friends and family — and a 50-piece orchestra — later that night.
McQueen is “an artist I’m proud to call my friend and someone I have great respect for. I’ve always admired Steve’s work,” West said, noting that he was going off the scripted remarks to share his own personal stories of the director.
McQueen is considered a likely contender for a directing Oscar nom, while his 12 Years a Slave is among the frontrunners for a best picture nomination. Star Chiwetel Ejiofor also is a leading Oscar contender.
See West’s introduction, along with McQueen’s acceptance speech, below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day