- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
With more parents on L.A.’s Westside opting not to vaccinate their children, are they endangering the health of their own kids and those around them?
The Hollywood Reporter‘s Top Doctors Issue examines this issue by talking to some of the experts in the field.
“The epidemic of whooping cough is about along the level of the epidemic in the 1940s,” says Dr. Nina L. Shapiro of Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA. “We have gone back almost 100 years as far as our vaccine prevention.”
Shapiro explains that vaccines aren’t completely effective if other nearby people aren’t vaccinated, referring to “herd immunity.”
Meanwhile, Barbara Loe Fisher, co-founder and president of nonprofit National Vaccine Information Center, disagrees with the schedule with which vaccines are currently administered.
Dr. Jay Gordon, a Santa Monica-based pediatrician, also weighs in, explaining that more parents would be interested in vaccines for their children if they weren’t coerced into it. He also believes that the vaccine for whooping cough just isn’t effective enough.
Watch the video above for more, and check out THR‘s investigation on Hollywood’s vaccination wars here.
More From THR‘s Top Doctors Issue:
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Sterling K. Brown