- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If nothing else, you have to give the trailer for Hot Tub Time Machine 2 something for going epic with its opening: “Four years ago, the laws of space and time were violated,” a serious voiceover intones, against some suitably cosmic visuals — but the rest of the tease for the time-traveling sequel might cause some unexpected deja vu for children of the ’80s.
When it comes to the plot of the follow-up to the 2010 surprise hit, it looks like the producers have gone full-out Back to The Future — even if Robinson, Rob Corddry and Clark Duke seem to have modeled themselves after Biff rather than Marty, judging by the way in which they use their knowledge of the future to make themselves rich.
Nonetheless, there’re alternate timelines to be sorted out, disturbing futures to be avoided and history to be rewritten in this second outing, with Adam Scott showing up to join the ride this time out. “No Decade Is Safe,” the trailer promises, but as the glimpse of a revolutionary war Corddry suggests, the movie goes far beyond jumping back to the 1950s — or, in this case, 1980s: There, terrifyingly enough, are the men we have to rely upon for America to happen.
Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is scheduled for release Feb. 2015.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day