- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“I had the person I’m portraying there with us for the entirety of the shoot, so I had so much to go on,” Dornan said in a featurette for the war drama.
A Private War centers on famed war journalist Marie Colvin (Rosamund Pike) and Conroy as they team up to cover international conflicts. Unlimited access to Conroy’s memories was crucial to Dornan’s performance.
“There’s so many times when we’re trying to depict something as truthfully as we could, and there’s times where the only person who really knew what it was like in that exact situation was Paul, and he’s standing right there,” Dornan said.
Conroy, who joined Dornan for the conversation, also discussed his experience working as a consultant during production, where he watched some of the most traumatic moments from his and Colvin’s past reenacted.
“It wasn’t painful,” Conroy said. “It was saddening, at times, because I miss her. But she was back for a while.”
For Dornan, the friendship between the two journalists was at the core of the story and therefore a priority for him.
“Ros and I both felt it was important to get across the sincerity of their bond that they had,” he said.
A Private War is now in theaters.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day