- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ian McKellen has joined the all-star lineup of Disney’s live-action Beauty and the Beast, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Bill Condon is directing the movie, which is taking its cues from the 1991 animated classic.
The roll call already includes Emma Watson as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast/Prince, Luke Evans as the vain villain Gaston, Josh Gad as Le Fou, Gaston’s buffoonish and loyal sidekick, and Audra McDonald as Garderobe.
McKellen will play Cogsworth, the Prince’s butler who is transformed into a clock. While the character doesn’t have any major musical numbers, he is part of the Be Our Guest showstopper.
The veteran actor is best known to modern audiences for playing Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies as well as the evil mutant Magneto in the X-Men films. He can also be see currently onscreen playing an aging Sherlock Holmes in the indie Mr. Holmes.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
One Piece Film Red
The Silent Twins