- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A version of this story first appeared in the Jan. 22 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.
As the town waits to see whether Ricky Gervais decides to come back next year (he revealed he already had been invited back), Hollywood’s favorite pasttime of forecasting already is in high gear.
Spotlight screenwriter Josh Singer and director Kimberly Peirce both say they’re big fans of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. (Peirce adds that she’d love to see Saturday Night Live star Kate McKinnon, too.)
MC Hammer says Idris Elba and “that British accent” would be great.
Natasha Lyonne prefers Bernie Sanders, or even Larry David doing a Sanders impression. “I like Bernie Sanders’ mannerisms and personality,” she says. Blindspot star Jaimie Alexander suggests the cast of Seinfeld: “They should all host, but in char- acter.”
Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin says Gervais should come back. “I’m happy that I’m not famous so he won’t skewer me. He’s brutal, but it makes for a fun night.” Should the HFPA want to go in a new direction, Chris Tucker tells THR that he’s up for the job. “I’m scoping it out this year and we’ll see what happens. I would be a fun host — I wouldn’t dog anyone out.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day