- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Idris Elba will star as the hunchback of Notre Dame for Netflix.
The Golden Globe winner will also direct and produce the project under his Green Door production shingle and will be producing original music for the feature, which is being described as a “sonic and musical experience.”
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is perhaps best known for its 1996 Disney animated adaptation, is an 1831 novel by Victor Hugo that follows Quasimodo, a hunchback, and his doomed romance with the Gypsy Esmeralda.
Michael Mitnick, the scripter behind The Current War and The Giver, will write the modern-day retelling.
Fred Berger (La La Land) and Brian Kavanaugh-Jones (Midnight Special) will produce for Automatik, along with Elba and Green Door’s Ana Garanito.
Hunchback is Elba’s latest foray into behind-the-camera work, having made his directorial debut this year with Sundance drama Yardie. He also created and will star and exec produce comedy Turn Up Charlie that was ordered straight-to-series by Netflix.
Elba, who is repped by WME and the U.K.’s Artists Partnership, is currently in theaters with Avengers: Infinity War.
Minick is repped by WME, Grandview and Sloane Offer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day