- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Having conquered comics with a critically acclaimed — and best-selling — run on Marvel’s Thanos, the team of Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw is turning its attention to Hollywood with Legendary Entertainment and AfterShock Media optioning their Image Comics property God Country, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Published in 2017, the six-issue God Country is a fantasy series in which an elderly widower in Texas finds himself restored to health — and cured of dementia — after discovering an enchanted sword in the eye of a tornado. His revival comes with a cost, however; he has been transformed into the only man who can face a number of otherworldly creatures summoned to Texas by the sword’s arrival.
Cates will adapt his own story for the movie, which marks the second collaboration between Legendary and AfterShock, and the first time AfterShock will develop a property outside of its own AfterShock Comics line. The project was initiated by Legendary executive vp production Jon Silk and will be overseen by AfterShock’s Lee and Jon Kramer and Legendary’s Silk and Jay Ashenfelter.
Cates is repped by UTA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day