- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Giant screen exhibitor Imax on Tuesday said its global release of Les Miserables will start with a limited release in New York, Los Angeles, Toronto and Montreal, day-and-date with the domestic release of the musical tentpole on December 25.
Imax is to digitally super-size the Universal Pictures film, and follow up the limited North American release at Christmas with a run starting January 10 in the Netherlands.
That will be followed by the star-studded film being released in the UK on January 11, and then onto theaters in Russia, Mexico, Croatia, Israel, Poland, Italy, France and Brazil.
The giant screen exhibitor will digitally re-master the blockbuster musical from The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper.
Les Miserables stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried and Sacha Baron Cohen.
Set against the backdrop of 19th century France, the picture is expected to be in Oscar contention.
“Universal’s Les Miserables is a captivating cinematic event that is an ideal fit for the Imax experience,” said Greg Foster, chairman and president of Imax Filmed Entertainment, in a statement Tuesday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day