- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
A 19-year-old Indiana man is accused of killing three people over four days, in a series of attacks modeled after the movie The Purge.
According to court documents, a witness told police Jonathan Cruz told her he was “purging,” in reference to the 2013 film starring Ethan Hawke in which crimes can be committed without fear of prosecution over a 12-hour period.
Cruz’s initial hearing on murder, robbery and other felony counts is scheduled for Thursday in Indianapolis. Police say Cruz shot and killed Billy Boyd and Jay Higginbotham on May 12, and a third man, Jose Ruiz, on May 15.
Prosecutors tell the Indianapolis Star that Cruz could face the death sentence. They described the crimes as apparently “100 percent random.”
Cruz is already in jail in an unrelated case.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Box Office: ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Tracking for $60M-$70M Debut
Donald Glover, Jason Momoa and More Reach Out to Future Generation About Climate Concerns in ‘Common Ground’ Documentary Clip
Emma Stone Reveals More of Her Frankenstein in Yorgos Lanthimos’ ‘Poor Things’ Trailer