- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Mexican filmmaker Issa Lopez has signed a deal to write and direct a supernatural revenge thriller for Legendary.
J.H. Wyman, who executive produced sci-fi TV shows Fringe and Almost Human, and Sherry Marsh, behind TV’s Vikings and Pose, are attached to produce the project.
Logline details for the untitled project are being kept south of the border, but the story is said to be rooted in Mexican cultural lore.
Executives Jon Silk and Blake Avery will oversee for Legendary.
Lopez is a prominent filmmaker in Mexico known for the hit Casi Divas as well as an author who has won a National Novel Award from the country’s Institute of Fine Arts and Literature.
Her third Spanish-language film, Tigers Are Not Afraid, earned her 10 nominations from the Mexican Film Academy Awards and 55 international awards, including best director in the horror category at Fantastic Fest. The movie, a dark fairy tale about the ghosts that haunt the children that survive Mexico’s drug war, won praise from Stephen King and Neil Gaiman, as well as Guillermo del Toro, who teamed up with the filmmaker to produce an upcoming film of hers.
Lopez is represented by Paradigm and Hirsch Wallerstein.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Santa Barbara International Film Festival
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey