- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The fairy-tale classic starring Lily James has continued to woo families across the country. It topped the box office its debut week, bringing in $5.5 million and putting the film well on its way to besting last year’s all-time No. 1 film in the country, Maleficent.
Insurgent debuted in the No. 3 spot with $1.5 million. It ever-so-slightly beat last year’s Divergent debut, which opened at approximately $1.4 million. But the action trilogy starring Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet and Theo James is far from achieving the same traction as The Hunger Games in Italy. In total, the original Divergent film grossed $3.3 million in the country.
It was a strong week for local cinema, with Ma Che Bella Sorpresa coming in at No. 2 with $1.8 million and Latin Lover at No. 4 with $969,505.
Will Smith’s con flick, Focus, fell to the No. 5 spot with $963,895. Indie film Suite Francaise is holding strong at the No. 8 spot with $515,267.
Britain’s Queen Rock Montreal premiered in the No. 9 spot with $449,646. And after a long stay, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water saw its last week on the charts at No. 10, with revenue dropping to $411,611.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day