- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The sci-fi epic took in $4.2 million from 511,325 admissions.
Andiamo a quel paese from Medusa Films held on to the number two position with $3.34 million. The Italian comedy premiered at the Rome Film Festival in September and has proven to be a hit with local audiences.
Directed by and starring two comedians from Palermo, Salvatore Ficarra and Valentino Picone, the film follows two unemployed men who set up a sting operation when returning to their home in Sicily amid the country’s recession. The television stars have had several box-office hits in Italy.
Receipts have been close between the two films. Andiamo a quel paese had a better opening weekend than Interstellar in Italy, grossing $3.11 million, but Interstellar still won the week. Andiamo a quel paese had, in fact, the best opening weekend of the year for an Italian film and has topped many other big imports, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Dracula Untold.
Another local comedy, La scuola piu’ bella del mondo, took the number three position this week with $3.12 million.
Watch THR‘s interview with Nolan and the cast of Interstellar below.
See more videos by subscribing to THR‘s YouTube Page!
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day