- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 continued its global streak in Italy, opening at $5.32 million. Teen fans of the series flocked to cinemas to catch a glimpse of Jennifer Lawrence’s latest turn as Katniss.
Interstellar, which had topped the charts since opening two weeks ago, was knocked down to the number-two spot, still taking in an impressive $2.35 million. The space drama topped the $10 million total in the country.
But, interestingly enough, the Christopher Nolan film was still trailed closely by recent Italian comedies.
The week’s top 10 is crowded by local laughs. La Scuola Piu’ Bella Del Mondo moved up to the number-three position, with Scusate Se Esisto! debuting at number four. Andiamo a quel paese moved down to the number-five position, but with $1.76 million this week, the Sicilian recession-era scam film is approaching $8.7 million.
Specialty films did well in smaller theaters, with the Dardennes’ latest, Two Days, One Night, and Mario Martone’s Leopardi staying in the top 10.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day