- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A behind-the-scenes video shot by director Stanley Kubrick’s daughter, Vivian, shows how Nicholson got pumped for one of the most intense scenes, not only in the 1980 flick, but it all of the horror genre.
The multiple Oscar-winning actor runs in place, grunting to himself before picking up what appears to be a real ax off the bed and swings it around.
Unbeknownst to Nicholson, a crewmember is right behind him at that very moment and has to quickly react so he doesn’t get hit by the pointed side of the ax. If it is the same ax used in the film to break down the door, which it more than likely is, it is very real.
It is clear from the footage Nicholson is in full-on crazed Jack Torrance mode, and he doesn’t even flinch when he likely noticed the crewmember finally getting past and out of the shot.
Watch the moment below:
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Ticket to Paradise
Karlovy Vary International Film Festival