- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The James Franco Forever fan site has posted an Italian ad for the film that shows Franco as the Wizard of Oz — with a top hat, slightly anguished expression and hot air balloon in the background.
Oz: The Great and Powerful is an origin story about the wizard who runs the Emerald City — and is far less powerful than its residents, and Dorothy for that matter, are led to believe. In Raimi’s prequel to the L. Frank Baum classic, the would-be Oz is a young illusionist with a grandiose attitude who is forced to flee a traveling circus. His hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado to the land of Oz, which is overseen by magical wicked witches.
Franco, who recently premiered his experimental film Francophrenia at the Tribeca Film Festival, took over the role after Robert Downey Jr. dropped out and Johnny Depp passed on the part.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Behind The Screen