- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If the interconnectedness of Marvel Studios’ releases seems a little overwhelming now that we know what’s coming up from the studio over the next five years, James Gunn has some good news for you: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be your safe place.
“I don’t feel beholden to that stuff at all,” Gunn said when asked by MTV about the announced Marvel Studios schedule for the next few years. “I think [Guardians 2 is] really about the Guardians and what they are doing. We’re not subservient to the Avengers.”
While the first Guardians was part of a larger plot that started with Captain America: The First Avenger, thanks to those pesky Infinity Stones — a plot that’ll lead all the way to the two-part Avengers: Infinity War movies — Gunn clarified that the second installment in the series is “not a movie that’s made to move toward Infinity War,” before adding that the movie is, in fact, “something that’s made to move toward future cosmic movies.”
In addition to Guardians, Marvel’s cosmic comic line-up currently includes Nova and Captain Marvel — the latter of which is already on Marvel Studios’ schedule for a year after Guardians 2 is released. Should we expect to see Marvel’s first solo female hero show up a year early?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day