- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Former Focus CEO James Schamus‘ production company Symbolic Exchange has signed a first-look and strategic cooperation agreement with China’s Meridian Entertainment.
The deal will provide development and production funding for Symbolic’s English-language slate, while also helping with co-development of Chinese projects. Schamus will also serve as a chief creative and strategic advisor to Meridian as it expands its investments outside China.
“There’s nothing more exciting in this business than being able to work with people as they build something new from the ground up. Jennifer [Dong] and Meridian’s ambitions are paired with an independent spirit that will allow us to work on a broad array of projects together, in the U.S., in China, and around the world,” said Schamus in a statement.
Avy Eschenasy of Eschenasy Consulting negotiated on behalf of Symbolic in the deal while Figo Li coordinated the negotiation process.
Schamus recently beefed up his new company with new hires, and plans on making his directorial debut with his adaptation of Philip Roth’s best-selling novel Indignation. He’s reteaming with his longtime collaborator Anthony Bregman to produce the film.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day