- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cary Fukunaga, who last directed Jane Eyre, is heading into sci-fi territory for his follow-up.
The director has closed a deal to helm Universal’s Spaceless, and will also rewrite the screenplay based off the original spec by Jeff Vintar. Gore Verbinski is producing the project through his BlindWink Productions. Vintar is executive producing.
The story centres on an assassin who wakes up inside a spacesuit tumbling helplessly through space, with a computer designed to keep him company until his air runs out. He must try to solve the mystery of his death, which began when he broke into an orbiting space station to carry out a hit.
Fukunaga has been eager to mix up genres with every directorial outing he’s taken.
His debut was the award-winning immigration drama Sin Nombre, which he followed up with the adaptation of Emily Bronte’s Eyre, a period social drama.
Fukunaga is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler & Feldman.
Peter Cramer and Sara Scott are overseeing the project for the studio.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day