- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Before the Force awakened, a galaxy far, far away gathered to celebrate the joys of Droid Day. It might not be canon, but Funny or Die’s Hypothetical Star Wars Holiday Special parody is likely nonetheless to fill the gap in fans’ hearts in the last week of pre-Star Wars: The Force Awakens existence.
Riffing off the much-maligned 1970s Star Wars Holiday Special — which featured both the debut of Boba Fett and the sight of Bea Arthur as a Cantina owner with a heart of gold, not to mention Chewbacca’s son, Lumpy — the Funny or Die video centers around the previously unheard-of holiday, with both BB-8 and Captain Phasma sharing screen time with Jason Alexander, Kate Walsh and Train as everyone reflects on what Droidsmas really means to them: family, friends and introducing Poe Dameron via an animated interlude.
The video is, as the opening crawl explains, “cobbled together … with only what [the creators] could glean from promotional footage, on-set pictures, rumor and conjecture as to who these characters are.” The result is something that manages to conjure the spirit of a TV special so hated by George Lucas that he once said he wanted to destroy every copy with a sledgehammer — but whether or not that’s a selling point is open to question.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day