- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
He’s left a trail of destruction and broken limbs ?across much of Europe and the U.S., and now Jason Statham could soon be smashing up people’s faces in the world’s No. 2 box-office market.
The prolific British action star has signed on to take the lead in a new project penned by Kurt Wimmer, the screenwriter behind Total Recall and Point Break.
The untitled project, a co-production between Statham and Steve Chasman’s SJ Pictures and Beijing-headquartered Road Pictures, is due to start shooting in China and Europe next fall.
Statham will play a British expat living in Hong Kong who goes on the run with a Chinese agent to solve a major kidnapping.
Chasman will produce alongside Road’s Gongming Cai and Julien Favre. No director or sales company is attached, but Favre and Cai have brought the project to AFM.
“This is a perfect vehicle for Jason Statham to conquer the Chinese market — he is a true global superstar who has such an authentic connection with audiences around the world,” said Cai. “We’re excited to put this film into production, which marks the beginning of what we see as a fruitful long-term partnership with Jason and Steven.”
Statham is repped by CAA and Current Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day