- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first movie followed a villainous mastermind, voiced by Steve Carell, who connects with his paternal side when the trio of orphans he hires for an evil scheme melt his icy heart.
Carell and most of the other players from the first movie are expected to return but the new plot, being kept under wraps, calls for a new villain, who has a son of his own.
Bardem would voice the baddie, whose name is El Macho. (His son’s name is Machito.) While the WME-repped actor, and newly minted father, has played many villains on-screen — Bardem won an Oscar for playing sociopathic hitman Anton Chigurh in 2007’s No Country For Old Men — this would make his first turn, evil or otherwise, in the animation world.
Universal has set a July 3, 2012 release for Despicable Me 2, which is being directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures