- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Javier Bardem is in talks to play the villain in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, the latest installment of the high-seas fantasy.
Johnny Depp is, of course, back as Jack Sparrow, as is Geoffrey Rush, playing Barbosa, in the big tentpole that is eyeing a five-month shoot next year in Australia.
Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg are directing.
Plot details are as murky as a pirate’s morals, but Bardem would play a ghost captain who blames Sparrow for the death of his brother and is searching for a supernatural object to aid him.
Also figuring into the mix will be a love interest for Sparrow, a woman who is accused of being a witch. That co-starring role has not yet been cast.
Sources caution that the talks are in an early stage.
Bardem, who already memorably played a villain in the James Bond movie Skyfall, is working with Sean Penn in the Africa-set medical drama The Last Face.
He is repped by WME.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day