- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jena Malone has been cast as Southern gothic writer Carson McCullers in Lonely Hunter. Hounddog filmmaker Deborah Kampmeier is directing the biopic, which is scheduled to begin filming in the spring.
Hunter will span 35 years in the author and playwright’s life, which involved debilitating illness, a messy personal life and a creative circle that included Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote. Sarah Schulman and Kampmeier wrote the script.
Troy Johanson of Full Moon Films is producing the project with Kampmeier and Blair Breard. Abigail Disney of Fork Films will be an executive producer.
“Jena’s vulnerability, curiosity, and passion are perfect for Carson,” said Kampmeier. “She is extremely gifted and I’m thrilled to be working with Jena in what I’m sure will be a very creative and exciting process.”
The Gersh-repped Malone has appeared in Sucker Punch, The Ruins, Into the Wild, Donnie Darko and The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. She has the films Jack and Diane, For Ellen and The Wait forthcoming.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day