- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Renner, who co-stars in the fourth film, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, tells MTV News from the Dubai set, “It’s a franchise to potentially take over. I can’t predict the future and what they want, but that’s certainly the idea.”
Last year, The Hollywood Reporter quoted an insider saying that J.J. Abrams and Cruise were considering “hand[ing] the reigns over to a younger actor, or even to an ensemble.” PHOTOS: Hollywood’s new A-list.
Renner declined to say if the hand-off is written into the current film, such as when Harrison Ford tipped his hat to Shia LaBeouf in the Indiana Jones reboot.
“I can’t really go into the details of the script, because that’s still evolving,” he said. “It’s Tom’s baby. He’s the engine behind the thing. What happens after that, we’ll see.”
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, directed by Brad Bird, is due in theaters on Dec. 16, 2011. Inglourious Basterds‘ Lea Seydoux will play the female villain and it’ll star Lost‘s Josh Holloway in his first major film role, The Hollywood Reporter first revealed.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day